- The two major environmental worldviews are the deep ecological and the Western world environmental views. The western world environmental view holds that the human beings are directly in charge of the environment. As a superior being, therefore, a human being has the liberty to use the resources within the environment without any restrictions. The deep ecological view postulates that all living things including the human beings are equal in nature. It equates the environment and the human life but charges human beings with the responsibility of taking care of it.
Deep ecological view appeals to me because it is not human centered. This view contemplates environmental interventions and ecological balance through conservation of environment. In a different perspective, environment is an endowment that should be preserved for continued support to human life. This view has helped the learner to know the essence being responsible for the environment (Miller and Scott, 2011, p 69).
- Waste management is the process exploring approaches of accountability to the accumulation of waste in the environment presently and in the future. Waste reduction is the attempt to deplete the environmental pollution that is still in existence. Integrated waste management is a collective bid to restore the degraded environment as well as Lay down measures to maintain low levels of environmental degradation.
Scientists propose that waste should be appropriately alleviated by reuse and recycling process. Reusing is utilizing a waste product in a constructive economic activity without processing it in an industry while recycling is taking waste product through an industrial manufacturing process to produce a different commodity of value. To reduce is the process of alleviating levels of waste in the environment. Waste and pollution levels can be reduced by; responsible use of compost pits to regulate domestic waste, adopting electronic methods of storing information to reduce the demand for paper hence reducing lumbering activities that degrades the environment, and sensitizing the society on the hazards of environmental pollution and degradation (Miller and Scott, 2011, p 86).
- Flooding is caused by incapacity of rivers to hold large volumes of water due to silting owing to human farming activities near rivers. Cutting down trees increases the likelihood of flooding, due to destruction of riverbanks. Construction of dams and water reservoirs near the rivers poses a great risk of flooding during rainy seasons. The authorities should regulate the human activities proximity to rivers to reduce instances of agricultural activities near rivers. Strict policies are the best tools to prevent cutting of trees by imposing punitive punishment to offenders. Construction of dams and reservoirs should be authorized by the government to regulate the positioning of such structures. The human activities should be monitored and controlled to avoid the hazardous disasters that emanate from flooding.
- Birth and fertility rate are closely related issues and are greatly influenced by the following factors: alcohol consumption and smoking levels, age of a woman, when one is under medication, presence of irregular body hormones, psychological disturbance like stress, the levels of fat in the body, and diseases of the reproductive organs like the fibroids of the uterus.
Life expectancy is the aggregate age that the prevailing health conditions allow people to live. Infant mortality rate is the measure of the number of children deaths within a given time. High infant mortality rate and low life expectancy reduces the population of a due to early deaths of adults and massive deaths of infants. Lower life expectancy in US can be attributed to poor lifestyles, nutrition, and diseases due to high consumption of fatty foods. Most of the developing nations are not in the consumption economic stage like US, therefore, production errands contribute to healthy way of life through exercises. Migration is the movement from one place to another, while immigration is the movement from a mother country to a foreign country for citizenship. US is a country that allows many immigrant expatriates through green card policy. Immigration has caused issues of increased insecurity, cheap labor provision, improved economic growth, and higher income tax. Immigration is a policy that the country has continued to offer to interested parties who have interests of living in US.
- Environment is the surrounding things both living and non-living, and complement life. Environmental science is a discipline that explores the issues pertaining to the natural surroundings. Ecology is the natural habitat that a living thing survives and continues with reproduction. Ecology represents the natural setting of a living thing while environmental study encompasses diverse factors in the living conditions of plant and animals. An organism is any living thing while a species is a group of organisms that can interbreed to produce viable offsprings. An ecosystem is a natural setting, which includes a set of food chain where there is interdependence. Natural capital is the natural resource that cannot be claimed by an individual i.e. air. Natural resources are the means of production that are not manmade while natural service is the environmental provision of habitat to all living things. Nutrient cycling is the process by which nutrients changes form in the ecosystem. Living organisms die and decompose to provide nutrients to the living things, and the process keeps on repeating itself. Various nutrients cycles include nitrogen, phosphorous, and carbon cycles. The cycles are important due to the function of keeping a constant supply of nutrients in an ecosystem (Miller and Scott, 2011, p 15-65).
Miller, G T, and Scott, Spoolman. Environmental Science. Belmont, CA: Brooks/Cole, Cengage Learning, 2010. Print.